Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Quakers and Hot Dogs

This past Sunday I attended Quaker Church. Not like the Oats! The Religious Society of Friends! Quakerism was created as a result of the Protestant Reformation in England in 1650. There is not one single religious doctrine that all Quakers follow but almost all Quakers believe in Jesus Christ and agree with the Apostles Creed. Quakers are known best for being extreme pacifist (They were hippies before it was cool). Sorry for the history lesson but I don't want any rumors circulating that I came to NY and joined a Cult. I have in fact joined a Cult but that's a different blog post. 

A “Friends Meeting” is run in a very unique way. Everyone just sits in complete silence and then if you feel that God has put something on your heart you are free to stand and share. I took the silence part very seriously and just observed what others felt moved to say. I compiled a list of tips just in case any of you ever plan on attending a Friends Meeting.
1.     Do not feel like you must dress colonial. Almost everyone has caught up with modern fashion trends.
2.     Do not attend if you are fighting a cold. Everyone can hear everything you do and that includes snot sniffing.
3.     Following the example of the men with neck beards that look the oldest is always a good idea. Rule of Thumb: The more they look like the Quaker Oats Man the safer you are following their example.
Going to Quaker Church was a great experience. I greatly admire their devotion and discipline! I also thoroughly enjoy that they refer to everyone as “Friend.”

On Monday the 4th I was able to attend the International Hot Dog Eating Contest at Coney Island. I have never seen anything like it.  I watched a small girl consume 41 hot dogs in ten minutes and then I saw a man consume 62 hot dogs in ten minutes. It is one of the most disturbing sites I have ever witnessed. I have taken meat and carcass evaluation. I know exactly what went into just one of those hot dogs and that is almost too much for me.

Pepto-Bismol was a sponsor so there were Pepto-Bismol beach balls being thrown around the crowd and everyone had their very own pair of Pepto-Bismol thunder sticks.  It was covered by ESPN because I guess competitive eating is now considered a sport. It was a very interesting experience. I’m not sure I have any desire to attend an eating competition ever again but I’m glad I went.

I was also able to go to the Macy’s firework display. It was absolutely amazing! It was basically 30 minutes of firework finales on the beautiful Hudson River. I think I had chills the entire 30 minutes. 
I hope everyone had an amazing and safe 4th of July! I also hope that nobody consumed anywhere near 40 hot dogs!! 

In the words of a Quaker, "Peace Friends!"

No comments:

Post a Comment