Saturday, July 2, 2011

Day Trip

I watched the movie Speed the other day. It has completely changed the way I look at public transportation. Every time I get on the subway I immediately begin analyzing my fellow subwayers. If disaster were to strike would we band together or just keep pretending that our business was the only thing that was important? Is Keanu Reeves here?! Do I get to be Sandra Bullock?!

I have found that public transportation is quite the experience in itself. You have your overly stressed subway riders, people that sing out loud while listening to their ipod, and my favorite, the people that have large dogs in their bags. I’m not sure they have been introduced to the Toy Dog concept yet.

I’m not much of a hugger but going two weeks without hugging anyone has proven to be a little bit difficult. Lucky for me I get to hug a lot of complete strangers on the express train on the way to work everyday. I feel like I should try to get to know people that I am that close to but that would not be the “New York Way!”  

Today I took a trip to Hoboken, New Jersey. Hoboken is the home of Carlos Bakery, the bakery from the TLC show Cake Boss. There was a two-hour wait to get into the Bakery so I decided just to observe those that were determined to make it in.  It was quite interesting. There were a lot of men that were not very happy to be waiting. I met a nice family from Kansas and the father was less than thrilled but his wife and daughter had on matching Cake Boss shirts. He was not getting out of this one.

Hoboken is also the birthplace of  “The Voice!” Not the TV show on NBC! Frank Sinatra! I listened to “My Way” as I walked down Monroe Street. I’m not the biggest Sinatra Fan but last Summer I dragged my grandparents to the birthplace of Michael Jackson.  I owed it to them to visit the birthplace of someone that they liked and was the same race the complete duration of his life. However, Sinatra’s song “New York, New York,” is slightly less inspiring now that I know he was only four miles from New York.

Several people today stopped me to ask me for directions so I guess I am starting to look somewhat New York Tough! Of course I have been no help to any of them but it is nice to look like I belong.

I have also continued to make friends with some of the oddest people but I’m sure that is how they refer to me in their blog.  

No comments:

Post a Comment