Friday, July 1, 2011

Awakening


If there is one thing I have learned during the past two weeks it is that God is completely intentional in everything he does. I was getting too comfortable where I was and needed a wake- up call. Consider me awake.

To see these children and families that have so little is heartbreaking but their spirit is completely inspiring. I had the opportunity to work with some kids at a Bronx Middle School. They were putting together backpacks for kids that lost everything in the tornados in Alabama. I could tell that these kids had so little themselves but were so willing to help anyone in need. The kids wrote messages on cards that were put in the backpacks. I was standing next to a little girl that wrote on one card “ Keep your head up. Things will get better. Until they do, I am praying for you.” I was amazed at the maturity of this young girl and her understanding of life. She attends a school where nearly 90% of the students are on the free and reduced lunch program and she was able to look past what was going on in her life and offer a comforting word to someone else that was suffering.  The kids from this school taught me a lot including that even kids from the South Bronx like to dance to music from Glee but this lesson has seemed to stick with me.

One of my main jobs within my internship is volunteer coordinating. I do the volunteer orientations and then take pictures and interview different volunteers. I spend a lot of time in the warehouse so I have become quite good friends with the warehouse staff. My favorite is a guy from Mexico named Jaime. Pronounced Hi-mey for those of you that struggle with the Spanish language as I do. Jaime moved to the United States 9 months ago to learn English and business so that he can go to different countries and through business share the Gospel with people. Jaime first learned about Jesus Christ at the age of 19 from a missionary in Mexico. I think Jaime is living like Christ more than anyone I know. The other day in our staff meeting he shared with the staff that his main responsibility at work was to serve the Lord. Today was Jaime’s Birthday and someone asked him what his one wish was. His answer was “For all the world to know that Jesus died for them and loves them.”  Jaime barely speaks English but he gets life more than anyone I have ever met.

On a lighter note, not speaking English has made some things interesting for Jaime. The other day he came into work upset because a man on the subway looked at him and said, “ What’s  Shakin’ Baby?!!” Jaime’s response was, “ I am not a baby! I am a Mexican Man!”  Jaime also struggles saying my name. Now he just calls me Mal, which means bad in Spanish, so I’m not really sure what he thinks of me.

Things are still going well in NY and I thank God everyday for this amazing opportunity. I’ve been practicing my hip hop and handing out Snickers on the subway. I’m trying to figure out a way to combine the two but it’s still in the development stages.

Thanks for reading and I hope you aren't too bored yet!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment