Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Ohana Means Family


I was fortunate enough to get to fly home and surprise the family at the big Stout Family reunion. It was fortunate for me but not so fortunate for everybody else. I know they were looking forward to a family gathering without me!!

My mom came up with this idea while she was up here visiting and it all worked out very nicely. The fantastic Hillary Yetter (You’ve probably heard of her! She’s kind of a big deal!) picked me up from the airport and took me to our house in Yukon. I then drove to Woodward. I arrived at the Dauphin abode at 11PM. My splendid cousin Heath answered the door after he stared at me through the window for what seemed like forever!! It was so great and everybody did such a great job pretending to be ecstatic that I was there.

This next statement is not exaggerated and I’m standing by my journalistic stance of objectivity: You have not experienced a good time until you have been to a Dauphin family gathering. Point of Clarity: My mother’s maiden name is Dauphin. I know even though it is the French spelling you visual people were picturing a “Family of Dolphins” frolicking. That does sound like a great time but that is not the gathering I was referring to.

A Dauphin family gathering is like no other. When you get us all in a room it suddenly becomes so very clear why we are the way that we are. It is an experience that few others would understand but the fortunate people that do are in for a great time. We are in finest form late at night because we all lose what little of a filter we have during the rest of the day.

This Dauphin family gathering was a little different because we were responsible for representing Team Ramona at the Stout Family reunion. We could not embarrass our Grandmother/Mother in front of her siblings and their families. No speeches were given but it was definitely assumed that we would be on our best behaviors.

In my opinion we represented Team Ramona very nicely. I’m sure we were judged on several occasions but that is to be expected. 

It was a fantastic weekend and I feel so blessed to have gotten to experience it. I got to see some very awesome people. In all seriousness I feel I was able to step back and realize how blessed I am to be related to such great people!!

Things I learned this weekend:
The “Sorority Hunch” is the next big thing in Greek pictures and you read it here first. It is only a matter of time before it fully replaces the “Sorority Lean!”
My Cousin Ashley Albert was in fact the voice of Stitch in the Movie “Lilo and Stitch.”
My Grandad is better at the Dougie than most people in New York and needs to be a guest instructor at Hip Hop 101.
Ohana means family. Family means that no one gets left behind or forgotten.

If you think you are up for attending the next family gathering let me know. We don’t charge too much for membership but it is a rather tedious process!  

I’m back in NY now and I’m back to being New York tough. I must say that the transition from the South Bronx to Woodward is rather drastic. I only have about a week and a half left here. Please let me know if you need me to try anything or go see anything! I may be a poor representative but I’m more than happy to accomplish things on your bucket list for you!...as long as it is legal

No comments:

Post a Comment