Monday, June 27, 2011

Week 1: A Story fueled by Snickers and Park Benches


I’ve finally decided to try my hand at blogging. This could be the most epic fail of my life but I guess we will find out. I’m sorry if you must be a part of the process of finding out that it sucks the ultimate suck!

For the first time in my life I feel I might have some blog worthy material but you are the ultimate judge of that. I recently started an internship in New York with World Vision. World Vision is a Christian humanitarian organization.

I believe I’m finally getting the hang of city life. I no longer smile at everyone I pass or feel the urge to say hello to complete strangers. I believe I frightened a good number of people with my bursts of friendliness but I am under control now. I’m sure they blamed it on Turret’s.   

I have the privilege of riding the subway to work everyday for an hour. I work in the Bronx and my office is located in the poorest congressional district in the United States. It is a less than uplifting commute. I always end up feeling guilty and blessed at the same time.

The other day on my commute home a man on the train started asking for food. I began to look through my bag to see if I had anything left over from lunch. Turns out I had a Snickers. I felt really stupid handing him a candy bar and I could feel the other people on the train judging me. Never in the past has the fear of being judged stopped me so why start now?  Just as I was feeling self conscious about my offering he replied with, “ Thank you! Snickers Satisfies!” Now I rarely get on the Subway without at least one Snickers.

Considering I am in the city without anyone I know it limits activities. People watching has become my newest hobby but I am very strategic so I don’t look like a complete creeper. There are a ton of parks in NY so finding a park bench and pretending to read is quite easy. Yesterday I was committing this very act when a man asked if he could sit next to me. Normally I would be a little skeptical but I was feeling very confident with Hillary Yetter’s tazor within reach. He sat down and started talking immediately. He had a lot of questions and I asked him questions back to be courteous. The next question really caught me off guard. He asked if I was a Christian. I was not prepared to answer but I knew I had an answer for him. We ended up talking about Christianity and Jesus Christ for about three hours. The entire time we sat and talked I was trying to convince myself that it was real life. He had questions and for the most part I had answers. Woody was raised as a Jehovah Witness and was from Haiti but had been studying Christianity. He had struggles with the Bible just as I do and talking with him was a blessing. I learned a lot from him and I hope I didn’t lead him astray in his study. I truly am grateful that I met Woody not only because the only Woody I knew previously had a snake in his boot and an astronaut friend named Buzz.

Today’s encounter was a little less serious. I met a very nice musician that insisted I sing with him. He played the entire Sgt. Peppers album and made me play the maracas. I did not give in on the singing though and for that he should be grateful.

I hope reading my sorry attempt at a blog post was not too painful.

Message from Educators Everywhere: Reading this blog should be followed by the reading of a great piece of literature to counteract the negative effect this garbage could have on you intellectually. 


2 comments:

  1. I love this Mal! You are definitely one of the most interesting, smart, and all around awesome person I know! You definitely don't give yourself enough credit, I hope to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job! It was witty, informative, and insightful! You have a fantastic voice! I would love to read more!!! By the way, I am an English teacher, and I haven't a single criticism for you!!

    ReplyDelete